A SOCIAL EXPERIMENT
What Was The Brand's Problem?
YHA is well established as a network of hostels, but few people know it’s a charity with a mission to transform young lives through travel and adventure. Our brief was to reframe YHA as a charity with a clear purpose.
How Did Cubo Outsmart The Problem?
The Adventure Effect was a social experiment, presented as a mini documentary. If adventure is so important, what happens when you take it away? And what happens when you give it to those who’ve been missing out?
For three days, we confined professional adventurer Alistair Humphreys to a shipping container and asked him to complete a series of dull ‘non-adventures’. Meanwhile, we gave a group of children their first weekend of eye-opening activities. For both parties, it was life-changing in very different ways.
What Was The Impact Of Our Work?
- Nearly half a million people reached to date, with limited media spend of just £20K
- 40% of viewers watched the entire 6 minute film
- Prompted debate about the importance of adventure across social and traditional media
- Relaunched YHA’s Educational Breaks programme, helping more children with challenging lives benefit from adventure
- The children in the film gained personally from their experience